Sport at Pridwin
Our team sports (rugby, cricket, soccer, tennis and hockey) are played in grades and our individual sports (swimming, cross country and athletics) in age groups.
At Pridwin Preparatory School we aim to:
- encourage participation and skills development rather than an attitude of winning at all costs; Boys are naturally competitive, they simply need to be given the skills to develop their innate abilities.
- play a range of different sports for balanced physical development. Boys at this age should be given a taste of a variety of sports codes in order to choose and specialise later in High School. Our policy is not to channel them into a particular sport.
- develop character, humility and social and moral skills through our sports programme.
- focus on the development of physical, cognitive and emotional aptitude
- emphasise hard work, exemplary sportsmanship, discipline, good behaviour, excellent manners and enjoyment.
Junior Preparatory Sport
The mission of the Pridwin sports programme is to allow for maximum participation in all sports offered at the school and to create opportunities for boys to develop all-round skills. The Physical Education curriculum focuses on underlying skills necessary for success in the classroom and on the sports field.
Pridwin’s compulsory sports programme offers seasonal sports coaching to the junior boys. Grade 1s receive an hour and the Grade 2s an hour and a half of sport, which takes place during the school morning to alleviate pressure on the fields in the afternoon. Grade 2 friendly soccer matches are introduced against opposing schools during the soccer season.
The Grade 3 boys follow the Senior School sporting programme, where participation is compulsory. Fixtures take place most Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays based on the sporting code. Those who elect to compete in swimming or cross-country running have seasonal fixtures on Fridays, too. Your son may elect not to play contact rugby, but will still be required to develop his rugby skills.
Senior Preparatory Sport
The mission of the Pridwin sports programme is to allow for maximum participation in all sports offered at the school and to create opportunities for boys to develop all-round skills. Pridwin’s compulsory sports programme offers seasonal sports coaching in the following sports:
Term 1: Swimming, cricket and athletics
Term 2: Rugby, cross country, soccer and tennis
Term 3: Hockey, cricket and swimming
The following sports are compulsory at Pridwin: athletics, soccer, hockey and non- contact rugby skills. All boys selecting not to participate in contact rugby will be required to do cross country. Boys may select to do cricket or swimming, or both. Our tennis teams are made up of boys from Grades 5 to 7.